It was a terrible encounter when I stepped into a local newspaper company a couple of days ago. I thought I'd able to get a casual writing position there, but failed to gain it. That wasn't the matter at all. The thing was I got lectured by this senior editor/journalist. Thought it was out of curiosity that she asked me where I've gotten her contact. "A" told me her number and prefer if I don't mention her name if the lady asked. She told me to say "B" name instead, assuming that it would be better for me as the lady knows "B" well and this will enhance my chance to get a job is higher. *Note that "B" has been working as a freelance writer since high school and she is the same age as me* Yes, I know "B" too, but have not talked to her since we left high school. Anyway, the lady gave that furious look when I said "B" gave me her number. She said that she lost my number and wanted to call me back right after I called her a week ago. She was busy at that moment. Unconsciously my number was gone when she tried to trace me back. Immediately she called "B" to ask for my number, and "B" in the state of blurness said she doesn't know me and did not pass anyone the lady's contact. Ok... now the lady got super angry! And that is why she put all her anger plus all the questionings on me. "Why? Why do you have to lie?" she asked. Frankly, it is my fault. I should have told her that I cannot reveal my source who gave me her contact since she already said so. I was too quick-minded that I told the lady "B" name instead!
One lesson she taught me was to note my ORIGINAL SOURCE rather than lie, just to get the information you wanted. As a journalist, you must be honest and truthful. It is important when you meet your interviewees and your final write-up. Ask permission first before you take any actions.
Yes lady, I have learnt the most embarassing lesson from you!
After lecturing me, she toned down a little and started a more "friendly" conversation about my career goals. I guess she is indeed some crazy woman, but she has her points. Maybe I thank her for telling me off :)
Hello world, are you still around?
6 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment